7.26.2008

HeartSick

I was discussing with Amelia the other day why exactly it is I like serial killer books. Thomas Harris, Caleb Carr, Chelsea Cain--all of them deal with some twisted stuff, but I really enjoy all these novels. Maybe the idea of exploring darkness fascinates me, or maybe the fact that I was raised by a psychologist has something to do with it. When all else fails, blame it on your father, I guess.

I liked HeartSick. It gets 4 stars not because it was awesomely written--it's pretty standard thriller fare, actually--but because I thought the characters were interesting, unique, and (in more than one case) genuinely intense.

Cain moves the story along quickly. It's a quick read and an enjoyable one for people who like thrillers. Be warned, though, there are some gruesome bits. Several sections of the book are flashbacks to when Gretchen Lowell held Archie Sheridan hostage and tortured him. Some of it's pretty intense. But a good read all the same. As always, click on the cover to buy from Amazon

1 comment:

Beth said...

I've never read a serial killer book, but I am fascinated by documentaries on TV about them. Actually, one Halloween, my roommates and I wanted to rent a scary movie. Rated R ones were ruled out, and we don't like stupid movies, so we settled on a documentary about the worst serial killers ever-Dahmer and Gacy are the only ones I remember. That was way scarier than any scary movie I've ever seen. But intriguing!