10.21.2008

In the Woods

I'm not giving this book five stars because it's a classic. It's enjoyable, but I won't read it again. I'm not giving it five stars because it's the perfect mystery. I figured it out well over a hundred pages before the reveal. And I'm not giving it five stars because it's one of those books that changed my life. It's really not.

I'm giving this five stars because I could not put it down! French's little mystery may have just hit me at the perfect time (I've been on an "American canon" kick lately, and this was not), but I burned through the pages not out of a sense of responsibility but out of a burning desire to keep reading. I stayed up late at night, I turned off the tv, I even (gasp) read during work--don't tell those kids who were working on worksheets all through World Lit. French's writing is concise, psychological, and figurative all at the same time. She strikes a good balance, and it works.

In some ways the story is like a deeper, more interesting Law and Order: SVU set in Ireland. As a child, Rob Ryan and two of his friends disappeared in the woods. He later reappeared shaken, leaning against a tree, and unable to remember anything that happened. When he grew up, Rob became a detective, and when a child is killed at the site of his disappearance, his past and his present begin to meet in unsettling ways.

French introduces an interesting--sometimes too interesting--cast of characters, at least one of whom will return in her next novel. I don't want to say who the character is--good or bad, past or present, dead or alive--because I don't want to spoil anything, but I do know that I plan to read her second book.

In all, this is a good read. I can't promise it will be five stars for everyone, but for me, now, it was just right. Click to buy. And this one I recommend.

No comments: