8.18.2008

Angela's Ashes

I enjoyed this a second time (mostly because I remember nothing from the first time). McCourt's childhood is ridiculously terrible, and yet this memoir isn't just depressing. There's hope, there's comedy, there's childish optimism. You'd think that, with the memoir genre so much more saturated now than it was when McCourt's book came out, it would seem dated and cliche. It doesn't though. Sure, there's the drunken Irishman, the lack of food, the fleas and lice. But McCourt's voice is so authentic and engaging that those standard tropes seem to be infused with new life.

I'm interested to see what the kids will say about it. On the one hand, it's dense (compared to some of what they're used to reading). On the other hand, it's such a fascinating and tragic and hopeful story that I can't imagine them being too turned off. But who knows. Teenagers have surprised me before. (shock!)

As always, click the picture to buy from Amazon.

No comments: