8.22.2008

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth

It took me a while to tap into what Ware was doing in this book. At first I didn't see much likable about Jimmy or his dad or his grandfather or his great-grandfather, but in time they developed into into thought-provoking studies of human nature. Particularly the grandfather's story was interesting and accessible--and the connection to the Chicago Colombian Exhibition of 1893 was great. It's a subject I have actually studied and returned to several times. Ware does a nice job capturing the White City in all its scale and impressiveness--which is a neat feat, given the simple nature of his art style.

Actually, maybe simple isn't right. His pages are really crowded with information and ideas--multiple panels moving in multiple directions--even learning to read them takes a few "chapters." But the result is rewarding. The world he creates is one fastidiously structured and filled with detail, but overall clean and simple. I liked it.

And in the end, an enjoyable read. The pacing, characters, and plot all fall more into the novel than the graphic novel category, and the result was I felt like I was reading something fresh and interesting, though not necessarily something I will return to again and again.

No comments: